Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It has been a mere pleasure to wake up to the sound of 40 mph winds and rain crashing against my windows. At the very least, I was extremely disappointed because I had this entire workout regimen that I was going to follow. A nice brisk run in the morning followed by countless abs and yoga moves and physical contraptions.I prefer running alone and letting my thoughts take my over- that way the run passes quick and i burn more calories than i thought. I always set my plans a little bit too high especially when it comes to working out. Extremely distraught, I set forth on my adventure to the, and you guessed it, the gym. It’s not that I don’t adore time at the gym it’s just, well, absolutely distracting. I mean let’s be honest, how hard is it to finish a set of lunges when you’re staring at hulk hogan’s look-a-like. And that is NOT a good thing. It becomes irritating and freaking disgusting because all this ‘hulk’ wannabe does is, pace through the maze of weights and ‘top-end’ equipment showing off his brown fake tan skin with bleached hair and the unforgettable cut off tee. And to make matters worse, one cannot help staring at the 450 lbs woman on the weight machine sitting in between her sets of 5 on the pull downs. I always find myself saying, ‘Good for her that she got off the couch and she’s in here, but lets do a little more than sets of 5.” Even sets of 8 are okay. But two sets of 5, which I am pretty sure was that I counted, was just a waste of time and energy. I’m not sure she even broke a sweat.

My theory is, if you come to the gym, use it. Oh and the best and biggest pet peeve of all? The girls who come to the gym like its a freaking beauty pageant. I think I saw a girl no older than 25 with full makeup on, a regular bra, and you guessed it, curled hair with nothing but cheerleading shorts and a sports bra on. Ok, she did look incredible I would have killed for her legs and her abs. But how is it even slightly or remotely comfortable to workout in stuff like that? She may as well come in in her bathing suit. Oh and heres the kicker, then you see a countless number of guys who have eyes magnentized to her. And then while the normal girls are working out you start feeling bad about yourself while you’re working out!!!!! Am I alone here? I mean I am happily taken in a fabulous relationship but getting attention or even acknowledgement is still a confidence builder. So then, going to the gym becomes this big hassel that meanwhile, all you wanted to do was break a sweat and leave feeling good. Its like a high school basketball team filled with politics. You have the ‘show-offs’, the ‘populars’, the ‘lazies’, and then the ones busting their asses (like myself)– getting absolutely zero recognition. Or am I wrong?

I had decided my last few weeks before I graduated college that I would focus steadily on my nutrition, working out, and studying for the big LSAT till I reached all my goals both tangible and intangible. So far I have devoured Alicia Silverstone’s book, “The Kind Diet”. First off it is a great read because there is a lot of environment talk in it. Yes, you read that right- discussion about the environment in a diet book. I thought it was extremely interesting having come off of an environmental sociology class last semester. There are great and convincing theories on why society should move towards a vegan regimen. This from the girl who cant get enough Chicken McNuggets and who loves a solid filet from The Striphouse in New York City. I had the best filet mignon of my life at that steak house in Soho, I highly recommend that to anyone who simply cannot process the idea of vegan in their minds.

http://www.striphouse.com/

*I highly suggest this if you’re planning a weekend getaway to the big city, it is on the pricey end but you won’t regret it, unless you are turned vegan.

To define, being vegan basically consists of cutting out any meat, fish and diary completely from one’s diet. Yes diary does include delicious cheese, and almost anything with white flour too- I think this idea sounds miserable. I eat chicken basically everyday and thought that losing weight meant nothing but meat, meat, meat! Horaay! However, Alicia (who I absolutely adore by the way), provides proof and enough facts that brings me to become skeptical of my meat loving-ness. Alicia believes that the killing of animals to provide the meat that is in your refrigerator or freezer right now is torture and that no living being should end their lives that way. I mean, yes that is convincing to me; however, I highly doubt because some select few believe that how we get our meat is cruel and filled with torture I really don’t think anything is going to change. I mean you can choose to not eat any meat or diary all you want, innocent cows and piggies are still going to be slaughtered. But what convinced me was the proof of thousands of what a vegetarian/vegan diet can do for your body, besides loose those extra lbs. There is proof left and right that cutting meat from the human diet can actually diminish common diseases and even cancers. Crazy? I thought so when I read the book, but then furthered my interest and just googled it left and right. A plant-based, meat-free diet can actually turn some situations completely around. I was shocked. There is testimony after testimony that a change of lifestyle and diet has actually done this. Is it for real or is it God’s hands at work?

I’m not really sure at all. But these testimonies were enough to make me want to try it. As someone diagnosed with Lupus. I face a lot of difficulty some days especially with pain. It is interesting because I have found testimonies online of lupus patients doing a change in diet like this, and their symptoms completely disappearing. I mean, you wouldn’t take a random pill without knowing what it will do to your body, why do we not treat food the same way?

Is it because we simply have too much weakness towards quickly-avaliable and fried food? I mean how many McDonald’s or Wendy’s do you see around? How far do you have to drive to go to a health food store or something that provides all natural diet options without pesticides and everything else on it? More and more supermarkets are accommodating the organic-obsessed individuals but there is still more that could be done. If you have healthy around you and its easy to get, then you in turn will just eat more good. I mean finding a restaurant around here that is vegan and accommodates that will be nearly impossible unless I always get a salad every time.

I haven’t completely made up my mind about going vegan. I have decided to completely cut out red meat though. *Rest in peace delicious filet mignon*. It will in turn be easier on my body and my bank account. I mean vegetables are not THAT pricey. I think I can afford that. In the mean time It is important to continue the research part of this and word towards a perm. lifestyle change.

My goal tonight will consist of napping, studying, and carefully picking out what’s for dinner. Update tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment