Thursday, May 13, 2010

Eden's Market

Today started off with a great run. The cold and cloudy weather wasn't my pristine running conditions but still a nice break from all the rain we have been getting. I ate pretty well today stayed completely with my vegetarian change. I'm easing into this vegan thing. It is something that seems impossible to just go 'cold turkey' and start. I feel like I would crash and burn instantly. I think a lot of things are like that in life. You need to EASE into the change. I think that cutting meat out of the diet will be easier than I thought; however, I most certainly think cutting sugars and dairies and eggs is going to take a lot more work. My big issue is with the sugars. And when I say sugars... I am talking Red Bull. After 4 solid years of relying on them for my caffeine and my brain power I have found myself really struggling the last few days. I have been extremely tired and willing to sleep at the snap of a finger. Today after my run, I met my mom with my boyfriend and we had a great lunch at Il Pizzaiolo in Mt. Lebo. This place was spectacular. I ordered an antipasti that was filled with roasted and marinated vegetables that were extremely delicious. My mom and boyfriend both got salmon panini's and devoured them.




This was my dish. It was with marinated spinach, green beans, artichokes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms (which I just can't bring myself to like) and homemade bread with oils. It was healthy light and I accompanied it with a glass of Stella's Pinot Grigio. It was the perfect mixture. I highly HIGHLY recommend this place. It looked as if their pizza was the speciality and I fought with the devil on my shoulder on ordering a small one for the three of us but opted on the fresh vegetables which were a definite win. Also, customer be aware that my vegetables came cold, as advertised. If I wasn't so hard pressed on asking questions I wouldn't have known and probably would have been thrown back. Other than that, for lunch it was packed and the wine selection seemed adequate for a smaller restaurant with great service and REAL Italian variety. I very much enjoyed it. And see! You CAN eat Italian and still maintain faith to a diet/lifestyle change. I will, however, dream of that pizza tonight.

On an EVEN better note, while killing time we were walking the main street in Mt. Lebo and stumbled upon a sign for a 'Eden's Market'. I was thrilled because it was something with MY name! I never see 'Eden' stuff. Which by the way- it sucks being a little kid and going to a store looking for the magnets with names on it and finding everyone Else's name in the family except for yours. Regardless, I walked in and was greeted by two people, I was assuming they were the owners. They were SO helpful. I got a entire rundown on what everything was in the store and learned that they provided a vast quality of organic, vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian products (ranging from vitamins to dog food). These people were SO friendly. I explained that I was attempting to change my lifestyle towards vegan and slowly doing it. The lady was so helpful and explained that it takes time but it is SUCH a great thing to do. I then learned that their store was named after their daughter, Eden. That was exciting- I got to see a picture of her and hear about how they started the store and what their goals were. Beyond supporting local organic produce they really preached an organic and holistic lifestyle. They reeled my mom in who has a history of stomach issues by throwing out the idea of a gluten free diet (which is where the store really becomes unique).

A gluten free diet is EXTREMELY strict and is something I wouldn't really consider unless I HAD to. I just couldn't deal with the drastic changes I would have to make and the things I would have to sacrifice to stay faithful to the diet. Either way, the lady preached the possibility of going gluten free because it has been known to heal things like lupus (again, how freaking ironic is it that she named the one disease I am diagnosed with) and colitis, which is something my mom has been diagnosed with for years. Unbelievable, it just SHOCKS me how there is proof after proof that changing what you eat can actually change how you feel. I actually feel as if my eyes have been opened up for the first time.

Anyway, among the many products I ended up with some organic cheese (vegan failure, I know- but it was all grass fed organic, I couldn't resist), some tea and a few other things. I am sold on trying this and seeing how it works. Like I said, slowly but surely. One change I have seen though is that since I have diligently cut out dairy my skin has cleared up wonderfully and people have started to compliment me! How crazy and in only 5 days in! I adore cheese and prior to this I was eating random pieces every other hour or so as a 'snack'. Cutting it out has been VERY hard but seemingly is paying off.

Anyway, do yourself a favor- go into Eden's Market. You'll love what you get, and the service makes it worth the while. The owners are extremely knowledgeable and do what they do because they believe in and it, and it is who they are. There is no rush to make the big $$. It's simply passion at its best and you will be happy you did it. Believe me. Even switching your everyday supplements is a huge improvement. Taking many baby steps results in large strides towards a better you and a longer life. Do it for yourself.

Eden's Market can be found at::::

99 Alfred Street
Rt 19 Washington Road
@ Clearview Commons Fountain
Mt. Lebanon, PA
15228


(412) 343-1802

Have a great night :-)

1 comment:

  1. did you know that mushrooms do not have calories from solar energy, but prodigious amounts of lunar energy?! thats way cool, so eat your shrooms!
    from the book "Ominivore's Dilemma"

    ReplyDelete